Monday, July 29, 2013

BEASTIN' & FEASTIN' Days 23-28: Vacation Time...Again!

This month has been pretty hectic. I've been busy for personal/life reasons AND my business has been picking up as well...I CANNOT complain about that! :) I spent the majority of last week and the week prior to it kinda freaking out about my first Whole Foods demo. I also came to realize that the anxiety it was causing me was probably not helping the situation with my injured shoulder. Not to mention, I hurt my back at the gym last Wednesday doing deadlifts. Now, I honestly have no idea how this happened. I am very familiar with deadlifts, this was far from my first time doing them. But never has my lower back hurt afterwards. My back was sore for 4 days. I could not bend over without pain. I'm going to have a little chat with one of the coaches at the box today because between my shoulder and my back...something is going on and I can't figure it out on my own. 

Breakfast Tuesday morning: Chicken sausage, 4-kale salad (Russian, purple, green, and Tuscan) with red onions and shredded carrots, avocado, tomato, and honeyloupe with raw, 12-month aged sharp cheddar cheese. Everything local and organic of course! 
Dinner Tuesday night: Spicy rockfish stir-fry


But, I am VERY proud of myself because I took even more time off from the gym and focused on myself and my healing. I got a 2 hour massage on Wednesday which I so desperately needed. I also decided I would incorporate massage therapy back into my life regularly so I'm signing up for bi-weekly massages with my new practitioner. Her name is Dominique and she is heaven sent! I had a gift card to Massage Envy from almost 4 years ago that I never used and I decided it was time. I didn't bother using it for this long because I had heard and read a lot of negative things about this business. However, I was SHOCKED beyond belief at how completely different my experience was. The place was impeccably clean, peacefully quiet, dimly lit when appropriate, fresh smelling, and the staff were professional, respectful, and kind. Dominique clearly knew her stuff and when I told her about my shoulder and back she nailed it by delivering a full body massage while spending 30 minutes alone on my right shoulder and 40 on my back. It was the BEST!

I should have known better. I always encourage people to try things themselves before passing judgment.

Post workout: I was caught off guard with a schedule mixup but I still searched for the cleanest possible snack to hold me over (and one that was $2 or less since that's all I had with me). I don't eat bars, powders, or supplements of any kind but this hit the spot! Three ingredients: almonds, whey protein isolate (highly preferred), and raw honey.
Sustainably produced, minimally processed, and non-GMO.

Testing out the newest addition to my kitchen: the spiral slicer! 

Dinner Wednesday night in preparation for my demo! Zucchini pasta with beef and veggie tomato sauce.


Then came Thursday and I was so amped for my demo at Whole Foods. I am forever grateful for the opportunity and excited for future demos to come! Once it started I was a lot less nervous. And when it was over I wanted to throw a huge party! My professional photographer partner (yeah...I'm super lucky!) Miki filmed and photographed the entire thing so I can play it back and learn how to do an even better job next time!

Thursday morning breakfast tacos! Probably my new favorite. Romaine lettuce with mashed avocado, chicken apple sausage, tomato, and leeks with bacon sautéed in butter. Baked sweet potato on the side.
Dinner Thursday night: arugula, raw cheese, oven roasted beets. Simple and delicious! 
At my demo, prepping before folks arrived.

There was a camera above my work station so people in the back could watch what I was doing! 

Sharing my story.

The finished dish: zucchini pasta with turkey tomato sauce and avocado. EVERYONE scraped their plates clean! 

Friday morning we spent a few hours packing and prepping for a 3 day camping trip. We headed out to Forestville to camp with some friends at one of our favorite sites, Mirabel Campgrounds. Although it was MUCH busier and louder than we have ever experienced it was still nice to be out in the trees, on the river, and laughing with friends without a care in the world. I need more of that in my life!

Ground beef for burgers, marinated chicken breasts, bacon, eggs, homemade mixed raw nuts and seeds, carrot sticks, zucchini for grilling, avocado, bacon fat, greens, ground turkey pasta sauce, leftover dinner, and garden fresh tomatoes.
Friday: homemade breakfast sausage with uncured Canadian bacon, an over easy egg, water sautéed purple kale and red onions, and garden fresh tomatoes and fruit.
Friday night: bacon wrapped chicken breast and we used the leftover in a salad the next day for lunch with arugula, avocado, and tomatoes. 

Found some wild berries near the river. They we SOOOOO sweet!! Holy ____! 

No comments:

Post a Comment