Wednesday, July 31, 2013

An in-depth look at my "Clean Shopping Machine" tactics

If you missed last months blog which highlighted all my super money saver shopping secrets, have no fear! Read it here! After posting that detailed manifesto, I received numerous requests for MORE. More details to be exact. Folks want to know not just HOW I shop, but WHAT I buy when I shop. So, I'm sharing all of my receipts from July with you so you can see exactly that!  

Disclaimer: You may notice that there isn't any fruit on any of these receipts. That's because none of my farmers markets receipts are shown here as they do not exist. I don't eat a lot of fruit but I do shop at my local farmers market every week and I always go just before closing (like I stated in my June blog) to score mega deals on organic produce! This is the only place I buy my fruit. I spend about $5 every trip. 

 Grocery Outlet: This is where I buy my uncured bacon and pastured chicken. They don't always have the same products in stock but I find that they have never been out of these items so I can count on them. You can find them all over the West Coast and they are growing and expanding at light speed! 
El Cerrito Natural: My FAVE place to shop. They have unbeatable prices on organic, local, produce! The prices you see here are REGULAR prices, not even sale prices! When they have sales, I go ape shit! 
I usually shop here 2-3 times per month. This time they had a special on local, sustainable, pastured ground beef (I mean, that is a STEAL of a deal!!!) so I hella stocked up! 

Safeway: I visit maybe once a month just to peruse the butcher station for deals on meat. I hella scored with this organic, pastured chicken breast deal!

Costco! The ultimate clean eaters shopping Mecca! Only $96 of this receipt is actual food. I typically spend around $100 per visit on food and I go twice per month: once in the 1st week and once in 2nd or 3rd week. They have a good selection of sustainable/humanely caught seafood, amazing prices on cage-free, organic eggs, and unbeatable prices on nuts. I also pick up deli meat from True Story


I always get my avocados, onions, and organic carrots at Costco too! They don't have a great variety of organic produce but a lot of what they do have is safe to buy conventionally grown anyways (see photo below). Every other month I pick up canned tuna and sardines as well. Their new jerky selection is AMAZING!!!

Click here for a larger version of this image. The onions, avocados, and mushrooms I sometimes buy at Costco are all on the Clean 15 list! I also know exactly where they come from and the practices and policies of each farm. I always do my research!



No comments:

Post a Comment