Tuesday, July 23, 2013

BEASTIN' & FEASTIN' Days 17-22: Vacation Time!

Words can't express how relaxed I feel. I had an emotional and painful (my shoulder has been KILLIN' me!) past week so I decided to take a mini-vacay. I went home to Carmel to visit my family and it was exactly what I needed. With all those emotions came bad food choices. But I don't dwell on them, it happens. The most difficult thing about where my body is at now is that I CAN eat carelessly and it wouldn't affect me like it would have years ago. Also, my appetite is monstrous. I mean seriously monstrous. Anyways, I'm not immune to some of the physical effects (see photo below) and that's enough to keep me in check. I get asked on an almost daily basis what I do or use to get my skin to look so clear. People often tell me I'm glowing. It's my diet. I don't use skin care products like that.

Normally, I have immaculately clear and radiant skin...but stress (and gluten/sugars) do THIS to me!


So what have I learned this week? Nothing new. I have a tendency to regress to old habits when I'm stressed or anxious. But that's something I have known for a long, long time. And what's been going on that's different? I've been anxious about my Whole Foods demo coming up this Thursday. I hurt my shoulder (doing snatches) and was stubborn about allowing myself time to recover. I'm saddened by the racial injustice in our country.

And how do I PLAN on getting my shit back together again? I'm letting go of the anxiety about this Thursday. I have done this (cooking demonstrations/tastings/workshops/presentations) several times before and although a little stage fright is normal, I'm not going to let it derail me. Everything is going exactly how I want it to in terms of my business. I love what I do, I love my clients, and I love what the future has in store for me. I know there is only one ME in this lifetime and no one else has what I have to offer the way I plan to offer it. Period. And that goes for you too! We are all unique and have a wonderful gift to share with the world. I'm happy that I have discovered my gift and am confident enough in myself to allow it to lead me on my path towards personal success, career wellbeing, and financial freedom! Also, I just enrolled at my community college to start a yoga program (thanks for the idea mama!) to work collaboratively with my vigorous and demanding training regime. I know I HAVE to be easier on my body. I feel it and I'm not going to ignore or deny it any longer. And the racial injustice part? Well, that's a tough one. Part of me is longing to move to another country and live off the land somewhere remote while another part of me wants to fight. What I'm most passionate about is food and nutrition education so that's where I will keep my focus. As long as I remain a good person and spread my gift and love to others, I feel great about my role in our current existence. I don't believe in fighting violence with violence. I want peace in my life and peace for others but I know it's something we all have to work for, together.

P.S. It's been 4 days since I've been to the gym, and I am 100% OK with that! :)


My typical morning while on vacay...my mama suggested I do some light yoga/stretching and I have to say I'm glad I did. I certainly feel a difference and even took an extra day off from the gym to allow my shoulder to rest even more.
Dinner! Rosemary braised lamb over cauliflower rice with steamed carrots and a side salad of arugula with roasted beets and toasted pecans

Lunch at Sol Food in San Rafael. Pollo al Horno!
Homemade seaweed salad (never done it before and didn't even have a clue what I was doing!) with grilled salmon over sautéed veggies and kelp noodles

Vacation lunch: Mixed greens, tomato, avocado, red onion, smoked turkey breast and easy dressing mixing balsamic vinegar with spicy mustard.

Vacation brunch

I dined out for ONE meal while on vacay, and this was it! Lamb kebabs over salad. SO GOOD!

Breakfast: Mustard grilled pork chops with homemade spicy apple preserves, homemade fermented cabbage, and mushrooms sautéed in butter. 

Dinner back at home yesterday: Grilled steak and onions, cauliflower rice cooked in bacon fat, steamed broccolini, and raw arugula with oven-roasted beets and fresh, raw cheese curds.

Carmel State Beach, one of my favorite spots/views back home! Beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment