Tuesday, April 30, 2013

HOORAY for Intermittent Fasting! (Round II)

So, you may or may not remember my first post about fasting. That's OK, you can read it here! I've continued to be fascinated by the concept. When something makes sense to me, it just clicks and sticks! I understand that humans are not a grazing type of animal. At least not in the modern sense. Most people (Americans) eat all day. They are snackers. And most people prefer small snacks/light meals throughout the day as opposed to eating larger meals in a more condensed amount of time. Although we have the ability to adapt to our environment and consumption flow, clearly we haven't been able to adapt to the way we are eating now. Intermittent fasting is a great challenge for someone looking to take their training and fitness to another level. My first experience with it was phenomenal. My body leaned out in a way I never thought possible. I have abdominal definition despite having loose skin and stretch marks from first being overweight and then a 140lb weight loss. My doctor told me this would not be possible without surgery...proved him wrong!

Eat, Fast and Live Longer (http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206/) is a GREAT intro to the topic of fasting. Informative but simple, it features a review of the leading research by accredited scientists and doctors and the results of that research. Not only that but journalist and physician Michael Mosley actually participates in various fasting techniques so that he has first-hand experience to share. It's a MUST SEE!

Fasting Fitness (http://fastingfitness.com/) is another great source to learn about fasting. If you're thinking about trying it or you just want more information, definitely check them out. 

"18/6" fasting. I LOVE real food! And I love eating! This is too easy! :)


This is Day 5 for me of my second round of fasting. The only reason I stopped during my initial introduction is because of my seizures. I had to make a lot of changes in my life after that and fasting was not a priority to me then, despite the positive effects I felt and saw. I had other things to worry about. But now I'm back on track and already feeling so much more energized. In combination with my new training regime, I feel like I'm bouncing back very quickly. I was dreading it, for sure, and the first week back in the gym was...painful. I felt weak. And I do NOT like feeling weak. I had to remind myself that weakness is mental, not physical. If anything, I'm stronger than I was pre-seizures. I have that experience, and everything that came before and after it to thank for that. But more on that another time...

No comments:

Post a Comment